The path to greater inclusion, independence and contribution within your community!
JWCC enriches lives through learning by providing accessible educational opportunities and services at an exceptional value. 终身大学 (CFL) extends that mission to students with IDD, allowing JWCC to better reach the community as a whole.
终身大学 is for students 18 years of age and older who:
- Have an intellectual or developmental disability (IDD), or similar learning challenge.
- Want to continue their education beyond high school.
Students who are ages 18-21 and still receiving special education services are encouraged to consider 终身大学. CFL can be a part of an effective IEP Transition Plan. Dual-enrolled students can continue receiving special education services from their school district while attending CFL. The 节能灯协调员 is available to talk to parents and educators interested in this option.
- 午餐. (Like any other student – bring your own, buy on campus, go out with a friend.)
- 在校园里转转. (No supervision will be provided outside of the classroom.)
- 遵守学院行为准则. (Do not be a danger to yourself or others. 不妨碍学习.)
“We never dreamt that a program like this would ever be available for Nick. Nick has a completely different attitude going to JWCC than he did in high school. He has a great attitude at home and talks non-stop after being picked up both days. 我们很惊讶，也很感激! Nick is so very fond of all of his instructors. We have never experienced the excitement that Nick has when he comes home. The last 2 weeks have been such a pleasant surprise.”
每门课程的学费是250美元. Some courses may also have supply fees which are typically $25 – $50 per course.
奖学金 may be available through the JWCC基金会 (217.641.4105).
不幸的是, Medicaid, Social Security, disability service funds and federal and state financial aid cannot cover 终身大学学费. 然而, ABLE account funds may be used for education expenses. Families and students are encouraged to reach out to civic and faith-based organizations to inquire about new scholarship possibilities.
终身大学 courses are non-credit and include a variety of topics to prepare students for a fulfilling adult life in their communities.
Classes meet twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM to 2:50 PM each 16-week semester (August – December; January – May). 每节课50分钟. CFL follows the JWCC academic calendar.
A Learning Coach or volunteers may be available in classes to assist students. Instructors will consider diverse learners when choosing information and activities for the courses.
Students may choose to take individual courses or seek a 终身学院证书, which demonstrates students’ independence, 工作准备, and preparation for adult citizenship in the community.
完成证书, students must successfully complete 8 CFL core courses plus 10 elective courses. 发展性大学课程, 审计的课程, or regular college credit-bearing courses may also be included.
A suggested three-year course of study is outlined below which assumes students will take the minimum required 3 courses only, 会在秋季开始吗, and that the semester they begin JWCC will be the first semester of their college experience. 然而, the 终身学院证书 program is a creative, 灵活的, and individualized process that students may complete in a shorter or longer time period.
- May continue taking CFL electives as desired with no minimum number of courses per semester.
- Will be enrolled in CFL elective courses during open registration after certificate-seeking students have completed early registration and be enrolled in CFL elective courses only as space allows.
- Must meet with the 节能灯协调员 for approval to enroll.
- Must take a minimum of 3 CFL courses/semester (unless there are less than 3 courses available).
- Will be enrolled in CFL courses during open registration after certificate-seeking students have completed early registration.
- Will be enrolled in CFL courses only as space allows.
|9-9:50||T / Th||63495||维护自己的权利2||要求:一年级||$250|
|9-9:50||T / Th||63496||劳动力预备2||要求:二年级||$250|
|10-10:50||T / Th||63497||健康的关系||要求:一年级||$250|
|10-10:50||T / Th||63498||个人理财||要求:二年级||$250|
|11-11:50||T / Th||63499||戏剧:剧本分析||选修||$250|
|11-11:50||T / Th||63500||烹饪||选修||$250|
|1-1:50||T / Th||63501||科学:科学方法||选修||$250|
|1-1:50||T / Th||63502||电影中的残疾 & TV||选修||$250|
|2-2:50||T / Th||63503||国际象棋概论||选修||$250|
|2-2:50||T / Th||63504||阅读||选修||$250|